Car Hire at West Palm Beach Airport
Palm Beach International Airport - All Information on West Palm Beach Airport (PBI)
Facts and History about West Palm Beach Airport
Palm Beach International Airport is located just west of the city of West Palm Beach in Florida, USA and it is also known as Palm Beach Airport, West Palm Beach Airport or West Palm Beach International Airport. It is the third busiest airport in the Miami metropolitan area after Miami International Airport and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
The airport is operated by Palm Beach County’s Department of Airports and has the IATA code of PBI and the ICAO code of KPBI.
PBI began operations as Morrison Field in 1936, named in honor of Grace Morrison who was a key participant in the organizing and planning of the airfield, and the first departing flight was New York bound Eastern Air Lines flight the same year.
When Palm Beach Aero Corporation obtained a lease and built hangars in 1937 the airport expanded and the first terminal, known as the Eastern Air Lines Terminal, was built south of the airport.
Following the attack on Pearl Harbor during World War II Morrison Field was used for training by the U.S. Army Air Forces and later as a staging base for the Allied invasion of France and numerous aircrafts departed Morrison en route to the UK to partake in the D-Day invasion of Normandy.
The U.S. Air Force returned Morrison Field to Palm Beach County in 1947 and the name was changed to Palm Beach International Airport in 1948.
It was again renamed, this time to Palm Beach Air Force Base, in 1951 when it went under the control of the Military Air Transport Service under the U.S. Air Force and it became the primary USAF training unit for nearly 23,000 airmen during the Korean War.
After years of Palm Beach County fighting the Air Force presence in West Palm Beach the airport was finally under their full control again in 1962 when it was again renamed Palm Beach International Airport. Delta Air Lines began scheduled flights the same year and Capital Airlines followed in 1960.
The current terminal, a 25-gate terminal named David McCampbell after a World War II naval flying ace, was opened in 1988 and in 2003 it was voted among the finest in the nation by readers of Conde Nast Traveler Magazine. Since then the terminal has been extended with more gates, as well as a 7-story parking garage has been constructed.
PBI has 3 asphalt runways of 10,001 ft/3,048 m, 3,214 ft/928m and 2,113 ft/2,113 m each.
The single terminal is divided into 4 Levels with Baggage Claim and Ground Transportation on Level One, Gates, TSA Security Checkpoints (one for Concourse C and one for Concourses A and B), Private Nursing Suites, Lost and Found, Lounges, Restaurants and Shops are on Level Two, Curbside Baggage Check-in, Passenger Check-in and Airline Ticket Counters are on Level Three and Short Term Parking is on Level Four.
The terminal also has 3 Concourses where the gates are located with Concourse A housing BahamasAir and Silver Airways, Concourse B houses Air Canada, Allegiant, American Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines and Concourse C houses Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airlines.
Arrivals, Departures and Airlines at Palm Beach Airport
- See live flight arrivals information at Palm Beach Airport
- See live flight departures information at Palm Beach Airport
- See all airlines and routes that serve Palm Beach Airport
Transfers to and from Palm Beach International Airport
- Rental Cars – Rental car companies at Palm Beach Airport have their desks on Level One, Baggage Claim level. Shuttles will transfer the customers a few minutes away to the parking lot where their rental vehicle is parked.
- Public Buses – Palm Beach County’s Palm Tran public transportation bus route 44 stops at the outer curbside on Level One of the airport. The bus runs between Intermodal Transit Center and Vista Center with a stop at the airport with departures once an hour in each direction from morning to evening, with earlier and later departures during the weekdays than during the weekends. A single journey for an adult is $2.00 paid in exact change on boarding the bus.
- Greyhound Buses – The closest Greyhound stop is located at the Intermodal Transit Center in West Palm Beach connected with the airport through Palm Tran route 44.
- Hotel Courtesy Shuttles – Some hotels and resorts arrange a shuttle between the airport and the hotel. These courtesy shuttles can be found on the outer curbside on Level One.
- Taxis – The taxi ranks can be found on Level One where all the ground transportation is located. No reservation is needed.
- Tri-Rail – A rail service between West Palm Beach and Miami with many stops in between. Tri-Rail offers a free non-stop shuttle service for transfer between the airport and the Tri-Rail station in West Palm Beach. The shuttle stop is located on outer curbside Level One.
- Amtrak – Amtrak provides rail connections throughout the United States. The Amtrak station is located in West Palm Beach and Amtrak offers a shuttle to transfer between the airport and the Amtrak station.
Covid-19 Testing at Palm Beach International Airport
If you are a ticketed passenger you can now get tested for Covid-19 at the Helix Medical Testing Center located pre-security on Level Two, adjacent to the Concourse C security checkpoint. All testing needs to be scheduled beforehand by visiting https://helixvm.com/
Helix will contact you to finalize the date and time once the form is submitted.
The testing center’s opening hours are Monday-Friday 9.00AM-5.00PM and Saturday-Sunday 9.00AM-2.00PM.
Hotels near Palm Beach International Airport
There are a number of hotels to suit all budgets and requirements at or near Palm Beach International Airport.
Parking at Palm Beach International Airport
Economy Parking – An open air parking lot located a 10-15 minute walk from the terminal. The parking fee is $7.00 per day and parking is allowed for up to 30 days. Can only be paid for with a credit or debit card, or a SunPass.
Short Term Parking – With direct access to the terminal building, Level Four, the parking offers open air as well as covered parking and charging stations for electric vehicles. The parking fee is $17.00 per day.
Long Term Parking – This parking is situated in the parking garage opposite the terminal and it too offers charging stations for electric vehicles. Parking fee is $13.00 per day.
Premium Parking – The Premium parking option is conveniently situated outside the Baggage Claim on Level One. The parking fee is $30.00 per day, or $2.00 for the first 20 minutes and $1.00 for each additional 20 minute period.
Cell Phone Waiting Area – This is where greeters of a traveler can wait while waiting for the traveler to arrive and be ready for pick-up. The area features a car wash, charging stations for electric vehicles, Dunkin' Donut, Mobil Gas, a 7-11 store with flight information inside as well as free WiFi. See more about car parking at Palm Beach Airport.
Additional Services and Amenities at Palm Beach International Airport
At Palm Beach International Airport you will find the usual array of bars and restaurants, airport lounges and shops.
- See all bars and restaurants inside Palm Beach International Airport
- See and book airport lounges at Palm Beach International Airport
- Plan your shopping in advance - see all the shops (including duty-free) at Palm Beach International Airport
WiFi at Palm Beach International Airport
The airport provides free and wireless high-speed internet throughout the airport, as well as in the Cell Phone Waiting Area.
Help Courtesy Phones at Palm Beach International Airport
There are white telephones situated in various areas of the airport as well as in the parking areas. These telephones are directly connected with the airport’s communication center and may be used when help is needed.
Public Telephones at Palm Beach International Airport
Visitors can make free local calls as well as toll-free calls from the public telephones that are located on each level of the terminal, as well as in Concourses B and C.
Pet Relief Areas at Palm Beach International Airport
There are two indoor pet relief areas on airside and two outdoor pet relief areas on Level One on landside where pets may run and find relief. The areas are fenced, and shaded when outdoors, and covered with nice wood chips or grass. Complimentary waste bags are available to help keep the areas clean..
Lost and Found at Palm Beach International Airport
The Lost and Found office is located in the Main Terminal on Level Two. It is open between 8.30AM and 4.30PM Monday-Friday.
Please contact the airline directly if you lost an item on an airplane.
If an item is lost during the TSA inspection of your checked bag, please contact TSA Customer service at +1 866 289-9673.
Opening hours at Palm Beach International Airport, PBI
To give the janitorial staff the opportunity to clean and sanitize the airport without disturbances the airport closes between 11.00PM and 3.30AM
Things to do in West Palm Beach
There are a number of activities to suit all ages and interests in the region - see a selection of tourist activities in West Palm Beach, Florida in the United States of America.
Address: Palm Beach International Airport, 1000 James L Turnage Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33415, USA
General Phone: +1 561 471-7400
Lost and Found Email: http://www.pbia.org/lost-and-found/
Lost and Found Phone: +1 561 471-7400
Official Website: http://www.pbia.org/
Drive on: Right
Plug: A, B
Currency: US Dollar, USD, $